Addressing challenges with nature-based solutions
Nature-based solutions can help us address many societal challenges such as climate change, biodiversity loss and food security. Nature-based solutions are defined by IUCN as: “actions to protect, sustainably manage and restore natural or modified ecosystems that address societal challenges effectively and adaptively, simultaneously providing human well-being and biodiversity benefits.”
Today’s challenge is to familiarise yourself with nature-based solutions and reflect on how these could be used in your own business . Check out the following resources:
- Nature-based solutions for business: everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask: On day 2 of the We Value Nature 10-Day challenge WBCSD and IUCN explored different nature-based solutions and how businesses can design and implement them. Download the session slides and watch the recording.
- Read WBCSD’s Accelerating business solutions for climate and nature report. This report covers what nature-based solutions are and why businesses should adopt nature-based solutions for climate and nature.
- The IUCN Global Standard for NbS provides clear and a common framework to help benchmark progress. parameters for defining nature-based solutions
- Register for the PEDRR Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Nature-based Solutions for Disaster and Climate Resilience Protect.
- Explore the Connecting Nature Enterprise Platform, connecting suppliers and buyers of nature-based solutions.